If you use social media, especially TikTok, you have probably heard of the “Chroming” dare. Reports say that a lot of people have been talking about this task all over the internet. But do you know what the trend is and why it’s so popular right now? We wrote an article because it is important to talk about how dangerous this problem is and let people know. In fact, this Chroming challenge has also been linked to a number of deaths. Yes, you heard that right. Because of this trend, some harmless people have died. This is why the Chroming task is so important to know about. You should read this piece until the end. Go to the bottom of the page and take a look.
The Chroming task, on the other hand, has been around for a few years. But it is still in the news, though not for good reasons. The Strait Times said that in 2019, two young boys who took part in this trend died. This year, one more person died because of the Chroming task. A girl from Australia died while chroming, so the story goes. Read the next part to find out what happened.
Esra Haynes was the name of the Australian girl who died from chroming. She had just turned 13 when she died. Google Trends shows that after Esra Haynes died, there were a lot more searches for the Chroming challenge in the month of May. Esra Haynes is said to have died on May 14 while she was chroming. Esra Haynes’s parents also stepped up to help stop this dangerous trend and save other children. Their new goal is to make sure that this trend doesn’t cause any more deaths. So, Esra Haynes’s parents are telling other parents to keep an eye on their kids and stop them from doing things like that. Slide the page down to find out more.
In an interview on America’s Newsroom, Dr. March Siegel said, “You’re actually breathing in paints and solvents to get high… You have acetone and formaldehyde in there, which is the trouble. It’s called volatile organic chemicals for a reason: it can irritate your skin, get into your lungs, make you have seizures, put you into a coma, and sometimes even kill you.
The chroming challenge seems to be a new take on an old trend of sniffing or huffing different materials. In this trend, the person has to ingest anything, like aerosol cans, metallic paints, solvents, or gas. As was said above, two boys died in 2019 when they tried this task. Dr. Siegel was upset and said, “The biggest problem is the long-term cognitive problems that it causes. If you use it for a long time, it can make it hard to concentrate.” The really bad idea was to put organically active chemicals where people could smell them. Move on to the next part to find out more.
A 13-year-old girl was killed by the TikTok Chroming Challenge on social media.
The National Retail Association gave a definition of “chroming” to help people understand what it is. The meaning is more general, but the word “chroming” comes from the act of sniffing chrome-based deodorant or paint to get high. Dr. Siegel said that TikTok was to blame for the deaths caused by this trend because it helped the trend spread. He said that it is one of the things he doesn’t like about social media and how it affects people. The Royal Children’s Hospital (RCH) in Melbourne, Australia, also has a set of guidelines on its website that describe Chroming. Read what The Royal Children’s Hospital said by scrolling down the screen.
RCH said that the Chroming trend could cause tachycardia, which means a fast heartbeat. It also changes the amount of CNS depression, which is what happens when a substance slows down brain function. It can also cause side effects like slurred speech, hallucinations, dizziness, nausea, and vomiting. Inhaling aerosol or metallic trousers has a short-term effect, but it can cause a heart attack, coma, lasting damage to organs like the kidneys, heart, lungs, liver and brain, seizures, or suffocation. Read this story some more.
The Royal Children’s Hospital in Melbourne also mentioned petroleum products, paint thinners, nail polish remover, hairspray, and lighter fluid as common chroming sources. Children shouldn’t be able to get their hands on these things. If you breathe these things in, you could hurt your organs or have a seizure. Children can breathe in the chemicals if they soak them in a rag and put them in a plastic bag from the container. Then they can breathe them in. After Haynes’s death, the Victoria Education Department said it would do more to teach kids about chroming and how it can kill them.